519 767 2899



July 21, 2014

During your tiling or window paneling projects, you will definitely need to purchase an appropriate type of backer rod in order to ensure that all the joints are airtight. The type of backer rod that you buy depends on a number of factors regarding the situation at hand. If you would like to use a soft rod for your projects, then it is important that you consider some factors in order to avoid getting faulty results. First of all, you should consider the type of seal you would like to create. Should the seal be waterproof or airtight? If the answer is yes, then you may have to consider using the closed cell versions instead of the soft backer rods. Soft baker rods are only most appropriate in cases where the moisture content is extremely low. You may actually consider using it for indoor projects that are less exposed to moisture.

The soft rod can be used to cover numerous types of joints regardless of their shape or width. You will find it appropriate for sealing rugged joints that have a non-uniform cross sectional area or smooth joints that have a uniform cross section. It is easy to bend and compress hence can be manipulated into different shapes so as to cover jagged joints. Its flexibility will also allow you to use it on movable joints or expandable joints. It can easily expand or contract in extreme climatic conditions where the size of the joint is altered. You may also have to consider the size of joint when using the soft rod. This type of backer rod is most appropriate for large joints. Smaller joints can be covered using the closed cell backer rods or even with the use of sealants without necessarily using a backer rod. With these few factors, you will never go wrong when it comes to filling of joints.