519 767 2899



August 25, 2014

Most construction projects will require you to use a suitable type of backer rod for the purpose of joint filling. Basically, there are two types of rods used to fill joints. These are the open cell and closed cell rods. Open cell rods are commonly known as soft rods and are known for their flexibility and expandability. Therefore, they are mostly used to fill expandable joints, movable joints and irregular joints. They can easily conform to the shape of the joint and can be compressed into the narrow sections of an irregular joint. Their installation is quite easy as compared to that of closed cell rods.

Filling of outdoor joints requires you to use the closed cell backer rod. This type of rod is generally resilient and hardly conforms to the shape of the joint. It has water resistant properties and can therefore be used to form airtight joints. In most cases, it is used to fill irregular joints that occur in outdoor structures. Whenever you visit the hardware shop for supplies, you should clarify on the type of joint you wish to fill and its location. Suppliers will then advise you on the best type of rod to use for durability and effective results.

There are numerous advantages of using a backer rod to fill joints. First of all, you economize on the use of sealants. Rods are used to control and regulate the level of sealants in a joint. They prevent the sealant from penetrating deep into the crack. They have an anti-bonding feature, which means that they do not bond with the sealant. Their circular cross section allows for the sealant to penetrate into the sides of the crack hence providing a larger surface area for bonding. This leads to the formation of a strong joint. The benefits of using polyethylene rods to fill joints cannot be undermined.